So Cal Interscholastic Rugby Federation (SCIRF) , founded in 2017, is a non-profit organization and is run by the coaches of the participating rugby teams with input and guidance from the Athletic Directors of the respective schools. This organization ensures compliance with California Interscholastic Federation (CIF) guidelines and participation by all. Games will be administered using proven, established CIF guidelines, processes and policies and played utilizing current International Rugby Board rules and regulations.
Accelerating the growth of rugby in the USA is dependent on the institutionalization of rugby in high schools and colleges as fully recognized varsity sports. The sole purpose SCIRF is to pursue, with vigor, through adherence to approved and proven High School athletic policies, acceptance of rugby as a fully recognized varsity sport at the high school level.
To achieve this, SCIRF will align all high school teams within their respective high school in some form or fashion. A high school team must be considered at least one of the following:
The organization, initially, will be overseen by an independent body of three knowledgeable rugby personnel who are no longer part of the game and will actively seek counsel, when necessary, from designated high School athletic Directors.
SCIRF will include the following:
1. Be courteous at all times with school officials, opponents, game officials, and spectators.
2. Know all rules of the contest, of CIF State, and the CIF local area; agree to follow the rules.
3. Show respect for self, players, officials, coaches and spectators.
4. Refrain from the use of foul and/or abusive language at all times.
5. Respect the integrity and judgment of game officials.
6. Win with character; lose with dignity.